Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Afterthoughts

The showing/performance at Dance Base went VERY well. The overflow crowd (amazing for a Thursday at 9:00 pm!) was very enthusiastic. We got excellent, positive feedback, and the atmosphere was warm and appreciative. The Dance Base staff set up the beautiful studio 1 in record time, with a Marley (lino) floor, four light trees and sound system. Because of the late sunset, we started with outside natural light filtering in through the skylights and side windows, but the stage lights definitely were necessary later on in the evening.
Sheila and Doug MacDougall took photos during the rehearsal beforehand. Here are a few:

choreography: Matthew Hawkins
choreography: Matthew Hawkins


choreography: Steinvor Palsson







choreography: Steinvor Palsson
choreography: Frank McConnell
choreography: Ian  Spink

my response to Steinvor and Matthew

choreography: Christine Devaney
For my choreographic contribution, I decided to create a sort of prelude (set-up when the audience enters) and then two response pieces (one for the work at Dance Base, the other for The Shed). Those need work! My next step is to look at the order again, as well as my response to Frank, Chris and Ian, which, especially, was not satisfying. Suggestions for changes, from others, include: inserting a short intermission in the 50-minute solo, and also joining all my responses together into one. We didn't have the time or equipment to design lights, so that is yet another element to consider - one that I believe will help refine and define the piece even better. Feedback is still coming my way, so the process is far from over. I will also be looking for other venues for future performances, in the UK and the US, in the coming year. To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm impressed, beautiful pictures and you look very engaged in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will set a date for a performance in Springfield, when I get back!

    ReplyDelete